Steven Salvatore is a young adult author, educator, Mariah Carey lamb, and Star Wars fanatic belonging to Hufflepuff House who spends most days daydreaming and making up stories. He uses the term “queer” (identifying as both gay and genderqueer,) and pronouns he/him and they/them.
Steven grew up in Tarrytown, New York. He studied writing and art history at Ithaca College, and received his MFA in Creative Writing with a concentration in Writing for Children from The New School. He was formerly a full-time Assistant Professor of Composition and Director of the Writing Center at The College of New Rochelle (CNR), where he oversaw the Freshman Writing Program and taught creative writing. After CNR officially ceased academic operations in August of 2019, he began teaching part time at Pace University and Westchester Community College. He also volunteers at The LOFT (an LGBTQ+ resource center in White Plains, New York) where he facilitates a creative writing workshop. As an educator, Steven is passionate about activism on and off campus and advocating for diversity in these spaces for all students. Steven currently lives in Peekskill, New York, with his amazingly patient husband, whose name is also Steve.
Steven is represented by Jess Regel of Foundry Literary + Media. His debut novels forthcoming (Winter 2021) with Bloomsbury!
- When writing about Steven in your publications, please use they/them, even though Steven uses he/him on this website.
- Steven has been obsessed with Mariah Carey since he first heard “Emotions” at the ripe old age of six back in 1992. He proudly defended her during the Glitter-era. He even made a Mariah-themed scrapbook in 2002 that he still has … somewhere. He finally met his queen in 2009. She was gracious and regal and everything.
- Steven’s side goal is to be a fabulous drag queen for just one night. Mariah Carey’s Glitter-era is the desired drag aesthetic — who doesn’t love a good red paisley bandana bra?
- When he was 7, he was in a TV commercial for German sausage that aired only in Germany. He was dressed as a boy scout. It was the most #masc he’s ever been.
- He’s a huge Star Wars nerd and fangirl of all things that live in that galaxy far, far away. Favorite characters include Leia Organa, Ahsoka Tano, and Poe Dameron (who is gay and that’s cannon.)
- His favorite comment on one of his “Rate My Professor” pages (he has many) is from one former student, who wrote: “He gives the most amount of work I have ever been given. His class is so overwhelming and took up all of my time, leaving me with little time for my other classes. He thinks the world revolves around him.” Spoiler alert: It’s true.