Steven Salvatore is a young adult author, educator, Mariah Carey lamb, and Star Wars fanatic belonging to Hufflepuff House who spends most days daydreaming and making up stories. He uses the term “queer” (identifying as both gay and genderqueer,) and pronouns he/him and they/them.
Steven grew up in Tarrytown, New York. He studied writing and art history at Ithaca College, and received his MFA in Creative Writing with a concentration in Writing for Children from The New School. He was formerly a full-time Assistant Professor of Composition and Director of the Writing Center at The College of New Rochelle (CNR), where he oversaw the Freshman Writing Program and taught creative writing; CNR officially ceased academic operations in August of 2019, so he’s currently teaching part time at Pace University, volunteering at The LOFT (an LGBTQ+ resource center in White Plains, New York) where he facilitates a creative writing workshop, and working on numerous writing projects. As an educator, Steven is passionate about activism on and off campus and advocating for diversity in all spaces, especially when it comes to his students. Steven currently lives in Peekskill, New York, with his amazingly patient husband Steve. They live in an old converted convent (Fun fact: Exterior shots for The Flying Nun and The Facts of Life were taken at his apartment building!) where they spend most of their days rewatching episodes of RuPaul’s Drag Race, Parks and Recreation, Schitt’s Creek, The Good Place, Grey’s Anatomy, and/or Glee, and planning their next major international vacation.
Steven is represented by Jess Regel of Foundry Literary + Media. His debut novel, THE OTHER SIDE OF SILENCE (working title), will be published Winter 2021 with Bloomsbury!
Follow Steven on Twitter: @StevenSSWrites
- When writing about Steven in your publications, please use they/them, even though Steven uses he/him on this website.
- Steven’s side goal is to be a fabulous drag queen for just one night.
- Steven has been obsessed with Mariah Carey since he first heard “Emotions” at the ripe old age of six back in 1992. “Hero” and the Music Box album cemented that love, and he became known as the “Mariah Dude” for most of his young life. He proudly defended her during the Glitter-era. He even made a Mariah-themed scrapbook in 2002 that he still has … somewhere. He finally met his queen in 2009. She was gracious and regal and everything.
- The Glitter-era mentioned above is the desired aesthetic for Steven’s future drag persona. Who doesn’t love a good red paisley bandana bra?
- When he was 7, he was in a TV commercial for German sausage that aired only in Germany. He was dressed as a boy scout. It was the most #masc he’s ever been.
- When he grows up, he wants to be Billy Porter. Or Sam Smith.
- He’s a huge nerd and fangirl of all things Mariah Carey, Lady Gaga, Marvel, Star Wars, and Disney (please don’t @ him.)
- Favorite Star Wars characters include Leia Organa, Ahsoka Tano, and Poe Dameron (who is gay and that’s cannon.)
- His favorite comment on one of his “Rate My Professor” pages (he has many) is from one former student, who wrote: “He gives the most amount of work I have ever been given. His class is so overwhelming and took up all of my time, leaving me with little time for my other classes. He thinks the world revolves around him.” Spoiler alert: It’s true.
Books Read in 2020:
- Catch and Kill by Ronan Farrow (read January 2020)
- Wicked Saints by Emily Duncan (read February 2020)
- Ahsoka by E.K. Johnston