YOU GUYS! I’ve coined a new word: QWEARY!
- a question; an inquiry.
- mental reservation; doubt. (Otherwise known as: EVERYTHING a writer has AT ALL TIMES)
- an inquiry from a writer to
an editor of a magazine, newspaper, etc., regarding the acceptability of or interest in an idea for an article, news story, or the like: usually presented in the form of a letter that outlines or describes the projected piecea literary agent begging forseeking representation for their completed novel.
- to ask or inquire about: (See: representation for a totally awesome YA novel!)
- to question as doubtful or obscure: to query a statement. (See: me totally questioning my ability to write on a daily basis.)
- to ask questions of. (See: me asking myself why I still write and put myself through this torture.)
- physically or mentally exhausted by hard work, exertion, strain, etc.; fatigued; tired
- characterized by or causing fatigue: a weary querying journey.
- impatient or dissatisfied with something (often followed by “of”): weary of querying.
- to make or become weary; fatigue or tire: The endless, year-long process of querying has wearied me.
- to make or grow impatient or dissatisfied with something or at having too much of something (See: rejections.)
- mental reservation about ones ability to properly query an agent and get representation for their self-proclaimed #awesome novel.
- The state of being qweary.
SO … QUERY + WEARY =
- physically and mentally exhausted by querying
- completely impatient and dissatisfied with querying.
- to become fatigued by sending out query letters all the time and not getting results, therefore leading to dissatisfaction and eventual disenchantment.
How amazing is that? IT CAN BE USED AS A VERB, NOUN, OR ADJECTIVE!!!
Ok, you might not appreciate the full magnitude of such a creation unless you’re a writer and you’ve already gone, or are currently going, through the query process, but let me just say: it’s the great word since:
Just take my word for it.
I made a pun. Get it? Word, qweary = new word?
Ok, I might actually be insane. DO YOU SEE WHAT THIS WHOLE PROCESS IS DOING TO ME?
It’s a constant waiting game, and my soul is getting tired of sending out letter after letter. I kind of feel like I’m doing this whole big song and dance number and nobody is taking notice.
The whole process is just one big, evil joke.
But it’s a necessary evil with a promising punchline.
It helps when I can make up fun words to myself through the whole process in one piece.
And OH, WHAT A WORD I’VE CREATED.
Say it with me now: QWEARY. It’s short, it’s compact, it’s #perfect for #hashtagging, it conveys the tiresome quality of the original “query,” and it’s actually a more accurate spelling of a process that very much specializes in the art of soul-sucking.
If all else fails — which it won’t because #positivity — at least I have my ability to create nonsensical words in order to cope with reality.