Steven Salvatore is a young adult author, educator, Mariah Carey lamb, and Star Wars fanatic who spends most days daydreaming and making up stories. They are queer–gay and genderqueer–and use pronouns he/him and they/them.
Steven grew up in Tarrytown, New York. They studied writing and art history at Ithaca College, and received their MFA in Creative Writing with a concentration in Writing for Children from The New School. Formerly a full-time Assistant Professor of Composition and Director of the Writing Center at The College of New Rochelle (CNR), they oversaw the Freshman Writing Program and taught creative writing. After CNR officially ceased academic operations in August of 2019, they began teaching part time at Pace University and Westchester Community College. They also volunteer at The LOFT (an LGBTQ+ resource center in White Plains, New York) where they facilitate a creative writing workshop. As an educator, Steven is passionate about progressive activism on and off campus and advocating for young people. Steven currently lives in Peekskill, New York, with their amazingly patient husband, whose name is also Steve.
Steven is represented by Jess Regel of Helm Literary Agency. Their debut novel CAN’T TAKE THAT AWAY is out now! Their follow-up, AND THEY LIVED… will be published March of 2022, from Bloomsbury.
- When writing about Steven in your publications, please use they/them.
- Steven has been obsessed with Mariah Carey since they first heard “Emotions” at the ripe age of six back in 1992. They proudly defended her during the Glitter-era. They have a Mariah-themed scrapbook from 2002, so the lambdom runs DEEP. They finally met the queen in 2009, and she was gracious, regal, and everything.
- Steven’s side goal is to be a fabulous drag queen for just one night. Mariah Carey’s Glitter-era is the desired drag aesthetic — who doesn’t love a good red paisley bandana bra?
- When they were 7, they played a boy scout in a TV commercial for German sausage that aired only in Germany. It was the most #masc they’ve ever been.
- They’re a huge Star Wars nerd and fangirl of all things that live in that galaxy far, far away. Favorite characters include Leia Organa, Ahsoka Tano, and Poe Dameron (who is gay and that’s cannon.)
- Their favorite comment on one of their “Rate My Professor” pages (there are many) is from one former student, who wrote: “He gives the most amount of work I have ever been given. His class is so overwhelming and took up all of my time, leaving me with little time for my other classes. He thinks the world revolves around him.” Spoiler alert: It’s true.