Steven Salvatore is an unapologetically gay writer, educator, and activist who loves glitter beards and spends most of his days daydreaming and making up stories.
Steven grew up in Tarrytown, New York, with his mom who was pretty much Wonder Woman growing up. He has an incredible sister who is much smarter than he will ever be. He studied writing and art history at Ithaca College, and received his MFA in Creative Writing with a concentration in Children’s Literature from The New School. He is currently a full-time Assistant Professor of Composition and Director of the Writing Center at The College of New Rochelle (CNR), where he oversees the Writing Program and teaches core writing courses, creative writing, and fun English classes like Graphic Novel. He was formerly a full-time English instructor at SUNY Orange where he single-handedly revived their literary magazine and revamped it with a new name, thePULP. He currently lives in Peekskill, New York, with his amazingly patient husband also named Steve. They live in an old converted convent (fun fact: The Flying Nun and The Facts of Life exterior shots were taken at his place of residence!) where they spend most of their days rewatching old episodes of RuPaul’s Drag Race or Parks and Recreation, and planning their next major international vacation (hint: Italy!)
Steven is passionate about activism and advocating for diversity on and off campus. At CNR, he’s the faculty advisor of SPECTRUM, the all-inclusive diversity club, as well as the Phoenix, the undergraduate literary magazine. At SUNY Orange, he was the faculty advisor of the Sexuality and Gender Alliance and thePULP, the literary magazine. He’s a professional member of the Consortium of Higher Education LGBT Resource Professionals and has served on NYSUT’s Civil and Human Rights Committee. He also volunteers his time at The LOFT, an LGBT resource center in White Plains, New York, where he facilitates a biweekly creative writing workshop, and taught a memoir writing course to LGBTQ+ seniors through Lifetime Arts.
Follow Steven on Twitter: @StevenSSWrites
- Steven’s side dream is to be the most fabulous drag queen for just one night.
- Steven has been obsessed with Mariah Carey since he first heard “Emotions” at the ripe old age of six back in 1992. “Hero” and the Music Box album cemented that love, and he became known as the “Mariah Dude” for most of his young life. He proudly defended her during the Glitter-era. He even made a Mariah-themed scrapbook in 2002 that he still has … somewhere. He finally met his queen in 2009. She was gracious and regal and everything.
- The Glitter-era mentioned above is the desired aesthetic for Steven’s future drag persona. Who doesn’t love a good red paisley bandana bra?
- When he was 7, he was in a TV commercial for German sausage that aired only in Germany. He was dressed as a boy scout. It was the most #masc he’s ever been.
- When he’s not obsessing over Mariah Carey, he’s obsessing over Lady Gaga.
- He’s a huge Marvel and Star Wars nerd. He also loves Disney. Like, a lot.
- His favorite comment on his “Rate My Professor” page is from one former student who wrote that he “gives the most amount of work I have ever been given. His class is so overwhelming and took up all of my time, leaving me with little time for my other classes. He thinks the world revolves around him.” Spoiler alert: I do.
- He wishes there were more hours in the day and days in the week to read for pleasure (grading papers all year long is such a time suck), and his goal for 2018 is to read 13 books. He hopes the list below will keep him accountable…
Books Read in 2018:
- I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
- Simon Vs. the Homosapien’s Agenda by Becky Albertalli
- And She Was by Jessica Verdi
- Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli
- The House of Impossible Beauties by Joseph Cassara
- Prince and Knight by Daniel Haack
- Symptoms of Being Human by Jeff Garvin
- True Letters from a Fictional Life by Kenneth Logan
- The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman
- The Cerulean by Amy Ewing
- Fun Home by Alison Bechdel
Books Currently Reading/In Queue:
- Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
- The Strange Fascinations of Noah Hypnotik by David Arnold
- Dread Nation by Justina Ireland
- Darius the Great is Not Okay by Adib Khorram