Steven Salvatore is an unapologetically gay writer, educator, and activist who loves glitter beards and spends most of his days daydreaming and making up stories.
Steven grew up in Tarrytown, New York, with his mom who was pretty much Wonder Woman growing up. He has an incredible sister who is much smarter than he will ever be. He studied writing and art history at Ithaca College, and received his MFA in Creative Writing with a concentration in Children’s Literature from The New School. He is currently a full-time, tenure track English instructor at SUNY Orange, and he’s the faculty advisor of the Creative Writing Club, which has just released their first literary magazine in 30 years, thePULP. He currently lives in Peekskill, New York, with his amazingly patient husband Steve (no, that’s not a typo; his dad is also named Steve, and family gatherings are a hoot!) in an old converted convent (fun fact: The Flying Nun and The Facts of Life exterior shots were taken at his place of residence!) where they spend most of their days rewatching old episodes of RuPaul’s Drag Race or Parks and Recreation, and planning their next major international vacation.
Steven is passionate about activism and advocating for diversity on and off campus. He is the faculty advisor of SUNY Orange’s Sexuality and Gender Alliance. He’s appointed to NYSUT’s Civil and Human Rights Committee. He’s a professional member of the Consortium of Higher Education LGBT Resource Professionals. He also volunteers his time at The LOFT, an LGBT resource center in White Plains, New York, where he facilitates a creative writing workshop.
Follow Steven on Twitter: @StevenSSWrites
- Steven’s [not-so-secret-anymore] dream is to one day become a fabulous drag queen.
- Steven has been obsessed with Mariah Carey since he first heard “Emotions” at the ripe old age of six back in 1992. “Hero” and the Music Box album cemented that love, and he became known as the “Mariah Dude” for most of his young life. He proudly defended her during the Glitter-era. He even made a Mariah-themed scrapbook in 2002 that he still has … somewhere. He finally met his queen in 2009. She was gracious and regal and everything.
- The Glitter-era mentioned above is the desired aesthetic for Steven’s future drag persona. Who doesn’t love a good red paisley bandana bra?
- When he was 7, he was in a TV commercial for German sausage that aired only in Germany. He was dressed as a boy scout. It was the most #masc he’s ever been.
- When he’s not obsessing over Mariah Carey, he’s obsessing over Lady Gaga.
- He’s a huge Marvel and Star Wars nerd. He also loves Disney. Like, a lot.
- His favorite comment on his “Rate My Professor” page is from one former student who wrote that he “gives the most amount of work I have ever been given. His class is so overwhelming and took up all of my time, leaving me with little time for my other classes. He thinks the world revolves around him.” Spoiler alert: I do.
- He wishes there were more hours in the day and days in the week to read for pleasure (grading papers all year long is such a time suck), and his goal for 2018 is to read 13 books. He hopes this bullet point will keep him accountable.
Books Read in 2018:
- I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
- Simon Vs. the Homosapien’s Agenda by Becky Albertalli
- And She Was by Jessica Verdi
- Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli
- The House of Impossible Beauties by Joseph Cassara
- Prince and Knight by Daniel Haack
- Symptoms of Being Human by Jeff Garvin
- True Letters from a Fictional Life by Kenneth Logan
Books Currently Reading/In Queue:
- The Strange Fascinations of Noah Hypnotik by David Arnold
- Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
- The Cerulean by Amy Ewing